Interview: Preparing for the Sydney Coastrek and Katherine’s favourite post-exercise smoothies
Katherine Hatton was the winner of our Shape Up for Summer Giveaway late last year where she shared with us some of her fitness goals for 2016. One of those goals was competing in the Coastrek this Friday the 4th March. Katherine and her team, Sole Patrol will tackle a 50km trek along Sydney’s beautiful coastline in support of the Fred Hallows Foundation, which helps restore sight to people who are needlessly blind.
Below Katherine shares with us what inspired her to do the Coastrek, how she prepares for a big race and her healthy habits – including taking Rose-Hip Vital to help with prevention of inflammation and injury!
What inspired you to tackle the 50km Coasttrek that you shared with us as your goal for 2016?
Last year I participated in Coastrek and loved every minute- from the training to the fundraising to the day itself it was a wonderful experience. Fred hollows is such a great charity which everyone is willing to get behind and support which makes it easier when asking people to donate. The Fred Hollows Foundation has blindness prevention programs operating in over 19 countries throughout Africa, South Asia and South East Asia, including countries such as Vietnam and Nepal. The Foundation also works to provide a full range of eye health services including eye health promotion, screening, prevention, curative treatment and rehabilitation.
I find that if I don’t have a goal then I tend to get a bit lazy, but signing up for Coastrek got me moving! My team is called Sole Patrol, we are four friends who love being active and getting involved in great causes. We make a great team as we all have different strengths. Nat and Polly are in charge of our training walk routes, Jade sets up our training calendar, and I am in charge of the fundraising aspect.
What are some ways that you like to train and prepare for a race to protect your joints?
To train and prepare for a race in order to protect my joints I am constantly stretching, I find that flexibility improves my joint movement range and prevents becoming stiff over long distances. I also do lots of strength training as muscle strength across the joints is what stabilises and protects them.
What recovery tips do you have to keep your joints in top condition?
To keep my joints in top condition I take Rose-Hip Vital joint health supplements every day, it helps with inflammation and stiffness. I also make sure I have the right shoes for the type of activity I am doing. Finally, I listen to my body, if I really need a rest day I take one to ensure I don’t overdo it.
What are some of your top wellness tips and healthy habits?
I have four top health and wellness habits:
- Sleep: I make sure I get at least 8 hours every night and in bed by 10:30, any later and I will be exhausted the next day even if I still get 8 hours, this really affects my concentration and drive.
- Move: I like to do something every day ranging from a simple stretch session or yoga up to a higher intensity workout. Moving regularly makes it less of a chore.
- Stress Less: I discovered meditation over the past 6 months and it has been really helpful balancing out a busy life. I find that my focus isn’t as great when I am stressed and my muscles tend to seize up in my shoulders.
- Stay hydrated: I wasn’t drinking nearly enough water before I signed up for Coastrek. I bought a 2L bottle and make sure I get through it each day. To assist with absorption I squeeze some lemon or lime in.
We hear that you are loving your new Vitamix S30 which you received as the winner of our Shape Up for Summer Giveaway! What are some of your favourite recipes to whip up?
The Vitamix is fantastic! It’s an easy and efficient way to whip up a smoothie. My recipes change depending on how much time I have but here are my two favourites:
- Easy Berry Recovery Smoothie: 250ml Alkaline Water, 250ml Coconut Water (I like Raw C), 1 scoop Nuzest Clean Lean Protein (it’s a whey protein which I find easier to digest) and half a cup of frozen berries. 15 seconds in the Vitamix and voila!
- Healthy Greens: 250ml Alkaline Water, 250ml Coconut water, 1 scoop Nuzest Good Greens Stuff, half a carrot chopped, one whole beetroot and a handful of ice.
What’s next in store for you? What other health and fitness goals are you looking to kick this year?
Next I will be completing a half marathon in May!
If you would like to support Katherine and her team, Sole Patrol on their Coastrek or read more about the cause, you can donate here. Pictured, Katherine is wearing her Female for Life tights which was part of her prize pack.